Thursday, September 24, 2009

Aldous Huxley--Revisited

Just when you think you know somebody--they'll surprise you by revealing something wonderfully unexpected. Authors can do the same thing with their books.

After reading Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited, I thought I knew Aldous Huxley--but the truth is that I'd read only a sliver of his work. As Harper Perennial continues to reissue many of Huxley's hidden gems--books that have been called "a masterpiece" and "unparalleled," and "extraordinary"--I've had the chance to more fully appreciate "one of the 20th century's greatest writers." (Washington Post)

So far, I've followed Huxley to Pala--the setting for his last novel Island. I've been amazed as Huxley told me the true story of the mass-demonic possession of a group of nuns in a 17th- century French convent in The Devils of Loudun. I've gotten a deeper look into Huxley's persona by reading his most autobiographical novel Eyeless in Gaza.

And, I'm looking forward to the lost novella The Genius and the Goddess as well as following Huxley on his spiritual quest in Perennial Philosophy and Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell.

If you'd like to consider one of Huxley's books for your class, please order a paperback examination copy. If you've already decided to adopt a book as required reading, please request a desk copy.

1 comment:

  1. That is one very cool-looking jacket. Love it!

    ReplyDelete