Thomas C. Foster's How to Read Literature Like a Professor appears on list after list. It's become a mainstay in AP Literature classes. There's a terrific discussion about summer reading on the English Companion--and Foster's book is mentioned many times.
If you'd like a peek at what other schools have required, here's a sampling:
- Porter Ridge High School, North Carolina
- Murphy High School, Alabama
- Chapel Hill High School, Georgia
- Woodside High School, California
- Braintree High School, Massachusetts
- Rockhurst High School, Missouri
- Pine-Richland High School, Pennsylvania
What's on your school's reading list?