Thursday, May 28, 2009

To Hug or Not to Hug....

The New York Times reports that hugging is hip among teenagers--the "hello" of their generation. Boys hug boys. Girls hug girls. Boys hug girls--and vice versa. However, this form of greeting has principals concerned because it goes against their districts' longstanding rules banning public displays of affection.

Is it time for the rules to catch up with the more relaxed generation--or should hugging be banned? What's happening at your school?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that there was a problem with hugging! I graduated high school in 2001 and my friends and all I hugged to say hi or bye. When I was teaching, my students hugged as well. Now, when they tried to hug me, well, that was just awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, awkward! Hugging a teacher in greeting! When I was in high school, we had to stand at our desks until the teacher nodded. Then, we said in unison, "Hello, Mr./Ms. ?????" and were seated. We never thought twice about it. Teachers were warm and friendly--but rules were strict, and limits set.

    ReplyDelete