Friday, March 13, 2009

What to read on Friday the 13th: SUPERSENSE

I like to think of myself as a rational person--but am I? Yesterday, I knocked on wood. Today is Friday the 13th--and I feel a bit cautious. It seems that I am no different from the majority of Americans who still believe in supernatural phenomenon in this modern, scientific age.

In SuperSense, award-winning cognitive scientist
Bruce M. Hood reveals the science behind our belief in the supernatural. It turns out that belief in things beyond what is rational or natural appears very early in childhood. In fact, this "super sense" is innate: our minds are designed from the very start to think there are unseen patterns and forces in the world. We're built to believe in the unbelievable--and these common beliefs are essential to binding us together as a society.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting and looks like it has broad appeal. It's great to read something from someone who doesn't come across as rabid as the Dawkinites but has a balanced view and an explanation for why people believe in the weird and wonderful without calling them simple or idiots...great choice to publish!!

    ReplyDelete