Monday, March 2, 2009

Teaching Guide for LAST DAYS OF SUMMER

I don't take note of Groundhog Day. I don't watch for the first robin. I am my father's daughter--and the first sign of spring is the day that the New York Mets head down to Florida for spring training. Today, it is 14 degrees in New York City--but baseball's opening day is only 41 days away.

I imagine that twelve-year-old Joey Margolis of Steve Kluger's Last Days of Summer spent the winter of 1940 dreaming of the Polo Grounds and his beloved New York Giants.

In Last Days of Summer, Steve Kluger uses letters, postcards, newspaper clippings, war bulletins, and report cards to tell Joey's story--a story with many themes: heroism, trust, faith, bigotry, cultural differences, freedom, love, and justice. To help you incorporate Last Days of Summer into your curriculum, we've created a teaching guide. Let us know if it is helpful.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping to look at your teaching guide but the link is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your teaching guide link is broken.

    ReplyDelete