Monday, March 9, 2009

Confessions of an Apple Addict: Amazon.com Kindle for iPhone

The one surprising thing that I have learned about myself in recent years is that I am a techie (actually, more like a groupie) for Apple. Countless words have been written about the genius of Steve Jobs, his visionary leadership, and the practically seductive beauty and sheer intelligence of his products, and I couldn't agree more. This past December I surrendered to my wanton Apple lust and bought an iPhone, which I am now ridiculously in love with. I know, it sounds absurd, but once you have fallen sway to the highly-superior technological charms and good looks of the iPhone--you're hooked. Hello geek love! 

The latest fabulous application that I have downloaded to my iPhone is the Amazon.com Kindle, which allows Apple iPhone and iPod touch owners to read Kindle books using a simple, easy-to-use interface. I downloaded over the weekend a free sample chapter of Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell in a nanosecond, read the chapter on the Long Island Rail Road while going to visit my best friend in Great Neck, liked what I read, and will now download the complete Kindle edition for $9.99. Perfect instant literary gratification!

Are your students using modern technology to read books and absorb information? What do you think of e-books? Are they positive force for learning or are they the downfall of the printed book?


No comments:

Post a Comment